• 12 Scallops
• 500g Tomatoes, cut into halves
• 4 Cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
• 100g Caster sugar
• 30g Chopped fresh basil
• 10g Salt
• 100ml Extra virgin olive oil
• 1 Canned whole tomato, blended
• 5g Freshly ground black pepper
• 4 Red radishes, peeled and julienned cut
• 1 Japanese cucumber, peeled and julienned cut
• 1 Carrot, peeled and julienned cut
• 200g Caster sugar
• 200ml White wine vinegar
• 50ml Extra virgin olive oil
• 1 Thyme sprig
For tomato glaze
Toss tomatoes halves with minced garlic, caster sugar, salt and chopped basil. Drizzle with olive oil and spread on to a baking tray and bake in the oven till tomatoes soften, for 40 minutes. Pour the blended tomatoes into a large pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Pass the mixture througha chinois and set aside to cool.
For petit pickled salad
Place all the pickling liquid ingredients in a stockpot and stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove pan from the heat and set aside to cool. Once cooled, add in half the amount of julienned cucumber, carrot and radishes into the pickling liquid. Soak for 5 minutes and then add the remaining julienned vegetables.
For pan-seared scallops
Heat saute pan with cooking oil and sear the scallops to desired doneness.
Place 3 pan-seared scallops onto each warm serving plate and drizzle the tomato glaze over. Top the pan-seared scallops with some pickled salad and serve immediately.